Now that your new Bitkey hardware device has arrived, you will need to initiate the Delay + Notify recovery process in order to pair your Bitkey with your new hardware device and complete the replacement of your old one.
To start the Delay + Notify recovery process, follow the steps below:
- From the Bitkey app Home Screen, select Settings > Bitkey Device > Lost or Stolen Device.
- The next screen explains what the process will include. To proceed, select Continue.
- There will be a seven day security waiting period during which time you’ll receive notifications letting you know that a replacement process for your hardware device has been initiated.
- If you did not initiate the replacement process, or if you no longer need to replace your hardware, you can cancel the replacement process at any time from the Home Screen by selecting Recovery in process > Stop Replacement.
- Part of completing recovery will include a step that makes an on-chain transaction to move your bitcoin into the control of your new Hardware Key, incurring a bitcoin network fee.
Note: While you’re waiting to complete recovery onto a new hardware device, you can still make bitcoin transactions up to the Mobile Pay limit you set for your Bitkey.
- Acknowledge you have your new Bitkey hardware device by selecting Yes.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to activate and pair your new Bitkey hardware device to the Bitkey app which includes enrolling your fingerprint with your new hardware device.
- At the end of the waiting period, you will be asked to Confirm Replacement. Use your new hardware device to approve the action. Upon successful completion of the replacement process:
- A new key will be created within the new hardware device.
- A new cloud backup will be created, encrypted by your new hardware device.
- In the final step, you’ll be asked to approve a transaction that will move funds from the control of your old hardware device into the control of your new device. After completing this step, your new balance should reflect your previous account balance, minus the on-chain transaction fees associated with moving the funds to your new keyset.
Note: Previous transaction history will not be carried over to your new wallet.
IMPORTANT: If you have previously provided a Bitkey wallet address to someone so they could send you money, you should update them immediately with an address created by the Bitkey app after you’ve completed recovery with your new hardware device. Funds sent to a previously generated address will not be accessible.